Our nation’s public lands are places where we picnic, play ball, fish, fly kites, pull weeds and plant seeds. Our public lands should be safe places of natural beauty where everyone can go to lend a hand, observe nature and enjoy life. With generous support from Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc., NEEF offered Every Day Event Grants to public land organizations, or Friends Groups, to engage their community on a public land site.
In March 2014 NEEF will award 45 Friends Groups up to $2,000 each to hold a minimum of three events. The events are educational, recreational and/or volunteering-based. By increasing the number of visitors who have good experiences on public lands, Friends Groups are the spark that continues to engage our communities on our treasured lands.
NEEF would like to help spread the word for these events on public lands. Therefore, applicants who receive an Every Day Event Grant are required to register their events on our Public Lands Every Day online calendar.
This grant has closed. View the 2013 Every Day Event Grantees.
Read the Grant Details below or visit the Frequently Asked Questions webpage.
One of the most common reasons NEEF declines proposals is that the applicant does not clearly tell their financial story. To address this need, NEEF has partnered with PwC to offer free, online training modules tailored to Friends Groups. The modules can be taken in any order, at any pace. We highly encourage your board, staff or anyone who communicates about your finances to utilize these modules, specifically our Budget module and Cash Flow Statement for Nonprofits module. It is not a requirement of this grant to take these courses. However, they can be helpful to your organization and also in completing grant applications.
- be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit or working through a fiscal agent.
- have been in existence for at least two (2) years.
- be a community-based nonprofit organization whose mission is focused on serving a public land site in the United States and the improvement and responsible use of that site. This includes groups that serve more than one site, such as a regional group of parks. Public schools and their grounds are not eligible.
- have an established collaborative relationship with a local public land site (including federal, state, regional, county, city or other local public land areas) for at least one year.
- be either educational, recreational, and/or volunteer-based.
- take place on a public land site that is owned by the public, and not just open for public use.
- be for new events OR expanding and/or improving past events.
- be completed within the one year grant period.
- occur outside of any National Public Lands Day participation.
*Please note that previous NEEF Every Day Grantees must wait one year after submitting their last final report before applying for the 2014 Every Day Event Grant.
There is a wealth of nonprofit organizations committed to working alongside public lands managers, helping them maintain their lands, engage volunteers and inform the public. These nonprofit support groups, sometimes known as "Friends Groups", can be invaluable to the public lands they serve
Every Day Grants Define a Friends Group as:
A nonprofit organization whose mission is focused on serving a public lands site in the United States and the improvement and resonsible use for that site. This includes Friends Groups that serve more than one site, such as regional groups or parks.
Whether they call themselves a Cooperating Association, a Friends Group or simply a partner, they work in cooperation with land managers to meet the needs of the land and the local community. They are often small, but can have a large impact.
The below criteria are the basis for reviewing grants. Successful applications will:
- Demonstrate a positive, cooperative partnership with a local public land site that will host at least one of the organization’s events.
- Describe a minimum of three events that will focus on building a deeper connection between the public land site and the surrounding community.
- Describe the target audience for the proposed events and demonstrate some basic knowledge about how best to engage with them.
- Describe clear and measurable outcomes of the events’ impact.
- Explain how grant funds will be spent to cover the costs of the three events.
- Applications Open: November 8, 2013
- Applications Due: December 18, 2013 (11:59pm CT)
- Grants Awarded: March 12, 2014
- Grant Period: One Year from date Awarded
Funds cannot be used for:
- Conducting lobbying, carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation;
- Influencing the outcome of any specific election through any means;
- Purposes other than charitable, scientific or educational;
- Solely fundraising purposes;
- Budget shortfalls, general operating costs or endowment funds;
- Scholarships, fellowships or grants to individuals;
- Land acquisition or real estate purchases;
NEEF grants are only accepted through our online grant application system. Follow these steps to register and apply:
- Click Apply Now at the bottom of this page.
- You will be taken to a Log On page. If you have not created an account from a previous NEEF grant or award, select Create New Account. If you have previously created an account with NEEF, skip to step 4.
- Follow the instructions to create your account. It will ask you for your contact information as the account holder and the contact information for your organization’s representative. For example, you may be the development director, but want the executive director’s name on the application as the representative.
- Upon creating an account, it will take you to your home screen. To apply, click the Apply Now button at the bottom of this page. You will be taken to a list of NEEF grants and awards. Select Every Day Event Grants 2014 to begin your application. Complete the application. Remember: You can save your application and return later. We recommend you use the Word version of the application to create your narrative and then copy and paste your answers into the online application. Pay close attention to character limits. These limits include spaces!
- Once you have completed the application and uploaded all attachments, click Submit Form to officially apply. If you do not click Submit Form, you will not have applied. You will also receive a confirmation screen upon submitting. You will not receive a confirmation email.
If you have any questions or problems, please consult our FAQ or don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.