Before you apply, take a moment to review the below grant details.
Every Day Capacity Building applications are accepted year-round. Applications that are submitted between November 1 and April 30 will be reviewed and grants awarded in the summer. Applications that are submitted between May 3 and October 30 will be reviewed and grants awarded in late winter. If a due date falls on the weekend or federal holiday, applications will be due the following business day.
In each cycle, up to $5,000 will be awarded to 25 applicants. Each applicant must submit a proposal through our online system. Once the top proposals have been selected, NEEF will invite only those selected groups to complete their application with supplemental materials. Invitation to submit those additional materials does not guarantee funding, as more than 25 applicants will be selected to complete their applications. From this pool, the final 25 grantees will be identified. At that point all applicants will receive an email letting them know whether or not they have been awarded a grant. To be considered in the next round, an applicant must reapply. Apply Now!
- be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit or working through a fiscal agent.
- have been in existence for at least two (2) years.
- be a community-based nonprofit organization whose mission is focused on serving a public land site in the United States and the improvement and responsible use of that site. This includes groups that serve more than one site, such as a regional group of parks. Public schools and their grounds are not eligible. Please read this FAQ for more details.
- have an established collaborative relationship with a local public land site (including federal, state, regional, county, city or other local public land areas) for at least one year.
- request funding for only capacity building projects. Learn more about capacity building.
*NEEF Grantees must have submitted a satisfactory Final Report before being eligible for the Every Day Capacity Building Grant.
If you are a land trust, please read this FAQ. Only one application per organization will be considered.
There is a wealth of nonprofit organizations committed to working alongside public lands managers, helping them maintain their lands, engage volunteers and inform the public. These nonprofit support groups, sometimes known as “Friends Groups,” can be invaluable to the public lands they serve.
Every Day Grants define a Friends Group as:
A nonprofit organization whose mission is focused on serving a public lands site in the United States and the improvement and responsible use of that site. This includes Friends Groups that serve more than one site, such as a regional group of parks.
Whether they call themselves a Cooperating Association, a Friends Group or simply a partner, they work in cooperation with land managers to meet the needs of the land and the local community. They are often small, but can have a large impact.
Public Lands Every Day has created a Friends Group Map as a resource to locate Friends Groups throughout the nation. If your Friend Group or nonprofit public lands partner organization is not listed, please email us!
The below criteria are the basis for reviewing and scoring grants. Grants are scored to develop recommendations. Top scores are then reviewed and final decisions made.
Successful applications will:
- Demonstrate a positive, collaborative partnership with a local public land site that has been in effect for at least one (1) year.
- Describe a needed and well planned project that can be carried out by the applicant.
- Demonstrate that the project will contribute to the long-term sustainability of the organization.
- Demonstrate that the project will strengthen the organization’s ability to serve the public land site.
Applications Open Applications Close
February 2 (for summer decision) May 2
Applications Due (for winter decision) TBD-Please Stay Tuned for Updates
If a due date falls on the weekend or federal holiday, applications will be due by 11:59pm CT the following business day.
Funds cannot be used for:
- Conducting lobbying, carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation.
- Influencing the outcome of any specific election through any means.
- Purposes other than charitable, scientific or educational. Budget shortfalls, general support or endowment funds.
- Events on public lands.
- Landscaping, land acquisition or real estate purchases.
- Giveaways, such as t-shirts. However, projects that increase your capacity to raise funds by developing items for sale, such as calendars or t-shirts, are allowed.
- The purchase of food.
- Scholarships, fellowships or grants to individuals.
- Any costs not directly related to the funds requested in the proposal.
NEEF grants are only accepted through our online grant application system. Follow these steps to register and apply:
- Click Apply Now on the Every Day Capacity Building Grants Page.
- You will be taken to a Log On page. If you have not created an account from a previous NEEF grant or award, select Create New Account. If you have previously created an account with NEEF, skip to step 4.
- Follow the instructions to create your account. It will ask you for your contact information as the account holder and the contact information for your organization’s representative. For example, you may be the development director, but want the executive director’s name on the application as the representative.
- Upon creating an account, it will take you to your home screen. To apply, click Apply in the menu on the left. You will be taken to a list of NEEF grants and awards. Select Every Day Capacity Building Grants to begin your application.
- Complete the application. Remember: You can save your application and return later. We recommend you use the Word version of the application to create your narrative and then copy and paste your answers into the online application. Pay close attention to character limits. These limits include spaces!
- Once you have completed the application and uploaded all attachments, click Submit Form to officially apply. If you do not click Submit Form, you will not have applied. You will also receive a confirmation screen upon submitting. You will not receive a confirmation email.